Use as antiseptic or disinfectant, mainly for contaminated wounds & preoperative preparation of skin & mucous membrane as for disinfections of equipment. It is non irritating,none staining of it has prolonged microbicidal action.
It used for
1) hand wash,mouth washes and gargling.
2) Cleaning of the skin prior to surgery;
3) Treating minor abrasions,wounds burns ulcer,cutaneous.Candiasis and skin infection,ring worm,in case of boils furnuculosis, impetigo,otitis external.
4) Treating trichomoniasis-an organison causing foul smelling frothy white,vaginal discharge(Leucorrhoea).
Dose And Administration
Topical-Burns, ulcer, wounds cutaneous candidates of skin infection, vaginal infection, pre-operative hand scrub, operative site preparation – Apply once daily as necessary & cover the affected area if required. For burns – Apply every 8 hr and cover the site.
Povidone-iodine should be avoided in pregnancy. Avoid eye should not be used under occlusive dressing, patient sensitive to iodine may show allergic reactions.
1) Do not use it in case of extensive burns.
2) Do not use it in patients with a history of iodine allergy.
3) Povidone-iodine and chlorhexidine are used for similar purpose. Hence, the cost of prepation should be taken into account while making a choice.
* Dr. Ram Bahadur Bohara is the Chairman of the of Nepal Alternative Medical Development and Advisor of Science Infotech.